With the Wikipedia/Internet blackout a few weeks ago, intellectual property continues to be a hot topic in the news! It brings to light a number of questions that our speaker will address at our upcoming chapter meeting. Here are a few questions to get you thinking about how this might affect you:
- I’m not a lawyer! What should I know about copyright and intellectual property?
- SOPA, PIPA, OPEN, ACTA. What are they, and how do they affect me?
- Does fair use apply to corporate training?
- Someone used my work in their blog (or Facebook) without my permission. What can I do?
- I signed a non-disclosure agreement (or confidentiality agreement) while working for a client. Have I given up rights to my work?
- What is Creative Commons really and should I use it?
About our Speaker – Barbara J. D’Angelo
Barbara J. D’Angelo is Assistant Clinical Professor of Technical Communication at Arizona State University. She earned her Ph.D. in Technical Communication and Rhetoric from Texas Tech University and Master’s in Library and Information Science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She teaches courses in technical communication, business communication, health communication, and intellectual property at ASU. She has presented and published on topics related to technical communication, writing assessment, curriculum development, and information literacy. Barbara is also Web Editor for the Association of Business Communication. She oversees the planning and development of the association’s website and social media strategy.
5:30 p.m. – Check-in & Networking
6:00 p.m. – Dinner
6:30 p.m. – Announcements/Community Intro
7:00-8:15 p.m. – Program
Date: Thursday, February 23, 2012
Location: Aloft Phoenix-Airport, 4450 East Washington St., Phoenix Map
Menu: Dinner buffet featuring a variety of wraps and salads along with chips, fresh baked cookies, and assorted beverages. Wrap and salad choices include:
- Signature Wraps: Chicken, Turkey or Veggie Wraps
- Signature Salads: Caesar, Chicken Caesar, Chef, or Tomato Mozzarella
Dinner and Program:
- Phoenix Chapter members: $22.00 if paying online or $24.00 cash/check at the door.
- Non-chapter members (including STC at-large members): $26.00 if paying online or $28.00 cash/check at the door.
Program only: $10.00
Registration Deadline: Monday, February 20th at NOON
IMPORTANT! Seating is limited to 20 – register early!
No-shows will be billed.
Register Online: To register for this event, please click here.