The Society for Technical Communication (STC) is the largest professional organization in the world with a focus and dedication to advancing the field of technical communication.
The Society traces its roots back to 1953 and was officially founded under its current name in 1971, which also makes it the world’s oldest organization dedicated to the profession.
Today, there are over 6,000 members worldwide spanning almost 50 countries. Membership is expected to grow in 2015 and beyond as the Society continues to set the standard globally for the profession and expand its offerings to its members.
Some of the benefits of STC membership include the following:
- online access to STC’s award-winning publications Intercom, Technical Communication, and more
- a wide range of educational and professional development opportunities including webinars, online courses, conferences, partner sponsored events,
- access to the STC Job Bank with 14-day advance access to new job openings
- access to the latest STC Salary Database
- exclusive membership opportunities in over 80 chapters, 10 special interest groups (SIGs) and other networking opportunities
About Technical Communication
Technical Communication consists of a variety of disciplines with the shared goal of communicating complex information of specialized topics to a target audience.
This is accomplished through multiple channels of communication, including technical writing & editing, technical illustration, visual design, web design & development, e-learning & training, and more.
Although the field of Technical Communication can trace its roots back to ancient times, it gained momentum during the first World War when the demand for technical documentation in the military, aerospace, manufacturing, and other industries began to grow.
Today, as technology continues to change and advance at a rapid pace in the 21st century, the demand for professional technical communicators remains high and is expected to grow for years to come.
For more information about Technical Communication, see Defining Technical Communication.
Join, Renew, or Upgrade Your Membership
To join, renew, or upgrade your STC membership, please follow this STC link Join or Renew Now.