API Documentation 101
The STC Phoenix Chapter is hosting a series of application programming interface (API) documentation webinars for technical communicators and students who want to learn more about documenting APIs. The course will focus primarily on Representational State Transfer (REST) APIs.
This is designed to be a resume-worthy webinar series, and we will provide a certificate of completion to those who complete the course.
- Title: API Documentation 101
- Where: Online (Zoom meetings)
- When: April-September (see dates and times below)
- Presenter: Alan Vickers
The “textbook” for the course is Tom Johnson’s (outstanding) Documenting APIs, a Guide for Technical Writers. Tom developed the free, self-paced course specifically for technical communicators (thanks, Tom!).
Anyone can take the online course for free, and if you’re comfortable with the technology and concepts, you should be able to get through it okay. The API Documentation 101 course is for those who prefer to collaborate and learn in a “classroom” setting.
We’ll cover the course material in six webinars. Before each webinar, you’ll read the sections in the API documentation course, complete all activities, and be prepared to discuss the content during the webinar.
Lessons and dates are as follows (subject to change):
- Lesson 1: Introduction to REST APIs | April 25, 7:00–9:00 PM
- Lesson 2: Using a REST API like a developer | May 30, 7:00–9:00 PM
- Lesson 3: Documenting API reference topics | June 27, 7:00–9:00 PM
- Lesson 4: Testing your API documentation and Documenting non-reference sections | July 25, 7:00–9:00 PM
- Lesson 5: Publishing your API documentation and Open API specification and Swagger | August 22, 7:00–9:00 PM
- Lesson 6: Documenting native library APIs and Getting a job in API documentation | September 26, 7:00–9:00 PM
Note: Registration fees are used to cover STC Phoenix Chapter operating expenses.
Registration fees are as follows:
- STC Phoenix Chapter members: $49
- Other STC members: $69
- Nonmembers: $89
- STC Phoenix Chapter student members: Free
- Other STC student members: $29
- Student nonmembers: $49